Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Darkest Path

The Darkest Path
 
The Darkest Path

Jeff Hirsch

ISBN: 978-0-545-51223-7

Oct 2013

4 Stars

*This is from an ARC copy that I won through goodreads first reads.*

Six years after fifteen year old Callum Roe and his younger brother, James, were abducted by soldiers of The Glorious Path escape becomes a necessary option.  When Cal is sent out to retrieve a stray dog to be trained for The Path; he finds in the dog an unlikely friend and ally.  Cal learns quickly he would kill his superiors to keep his new friend safe.  While on the run from The Glorious Path Callum learns more about the war between what is left of the US government and the extremist religion created by an ex US Soldier and how it’s affecting every region of the country. He will also learn about what someone will do for their family and friends, what loyalty really means, and how to survive in the midst of war.

Apocalyptic stories that have a twinge of reality are creepier than others. This is one of those that I could envision being ripped from the headlines so bring on the goose pimples.  As an animal lover I had a real appreciation for the author in the fact that he wrote realistic dog behavior as well; dogs bark and whimper at inopportune times. Being a military spouse I am also happy when military equipment is written well.  This novel has everything right for me in technical areas, but for me the characters (besides Bear) were lacking. I just didn’t find myself invested in them until the very end.  Overall, I really liked the novel. I think this is one that a lot of people can enjoy and I will feel good about recommending.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment