Friday, October 11, 2013

Day One

Day One
 
Day One

Nate Kenyon

ISBN: 978-1-250-01321-7

October 2013

4 Stars

*I received this ARC via goodreads first reads*

Journalist John Hawke is pursuing the story that will save his troubled career. When James Weller, founder of a startup technology company, agrees to let Hawke write a story about his accomplishments Hawke sees it as an opportunity to uncover a scandal.  What should be a normal day on the path to his redemption turns into a nightmare. Everything connected to the internet or with a computer chip goes haywire. He soon discovers things are not only going wrong at the office when his wife calls screaming that someone is trying to break into their apartment.  While just managing to get out of the office with his life he finds himself with a small group of survivors who try to navigate through the broken city only to realize that they are in mortal danger making getting home to his pregnant wife and son a perilous priority.

As someone who is not very tech savvy I feared I would be in over my head while reading this, but was pleasantly surprised. I did not once find myself lost and scratching my head. This novel is very fast paced with quite a bit of action making it a thrill to read. The plot is an idea that’s been around for awhile but the author’s managed to make feel different.  Even though this is what I would consider a science fiction thriller there is this great story about family under the skin that bleeds through from the beginning. The characters are why I did not give this one 5 stars. Characters are a big deal to me as a reader. I need to love or hate them and I was indifferent to this cast.  This does seem to be my complaint with a lot of thrillers that are fast paced. Overall I really liked this novel and will definitely recommend it, especially to science fiction and thriller fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment