Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bellman & Black

Bellman & Black: A Ghost Story
 
 
Bellman & Black: A Ghost Story

Diane Setterfield

ISBN: 978-1-4767-1195-9

November 2013

*I received this uncorrected galley from netgalley*

3 Stars

When William Bellman was only a boy of eleven he killed a beautiful rook with his catapult.  That event will prove to be a pivotal moment in his young life and even the years to come. As a young man he seems restless but full of good intentions. As a man his life seems to be blessed considering his wonderful family and growing business. When the people he loves start to die seemingly too soon he meets a mysterious figure who proposes the business venture of Bellman & Black.

The idea behind this novel is very intriguing and I was excited to be able to read it. The author’s writing style flows well and has an almost soothing feel to it.  As far as a protagonist goes, William Bellman, is one I won’t forget soon.  He is very vivid and at times a little exhausting to read.  Unfortunately this book seemed to drag for me. There were spots that I felt the information I was given was redundant. I felt it was lacking something dramatic. Overall I am still glad that I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment