Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hollow Bones

Hollow Bones
 
 
Hollow Bones

CJ Lyons

ISBN: 978-1-250-01537-2

August 2013

4 Stars

*I received a copy of this through Library Thing early reviewers*

When an archaeology student goes missing FBI agent Caitlyn Tierney follows her gut into the jungles of Guatemala.  Finding resistance from the missing girl’s family and the locals’ only makes her more determined. She only has one ally, FBI agent Jake Carver, at her side as she faces the unexpected twists and turns leading her into the heart of darkness.

This is the first book I have read by this author and will not be the last. With that said I will jump into my big complaint right at the start. These books are rated as standalone novels but I did feel like I was missing a little something when it came to character relationships.  That aspect could have been a lot worse (I have experienced it a couple of times so far), but it was still present.  I also expected a little more action dispersed throughout the story.  This genre benefits from action but again this was a minimal problem.

I really liked the plot of this one.  Even though there is a lot of interest in Mayan culture the author keeps that part of it fresh and unique.  There’s a lot of vivid imagery and it’s easy to lose yourself in the descriptions. The characters are great with interesting histories. This genre can easily seem bogged down and cluttered but I didn’t feel that way while reading. It has the intensity it needs but almost has an easy going feeling that makes it seem like a light read.  I have no problem recommending Hollow Bones.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment