Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pure

Pure
Pure

Andrew Miller

ISBN: 978-1-60945-067-0
4 Stars!

In the year 1785 Jean-Baptiste Baratte arrives in Paris with the ordered by the King’s minister of clearing the cemetery of Les Innocents.  The ancient burial site is overflowing and the stench of it poisons the air and water; maybe even some of the residents nearby as well.  At first Baratte sees his work as helpful to society, but later wonders if it is the sole cause of unrest and the unruly conduct that precedes his arrival.  The year holds much drama and unrest causing him to question everything, but also there are bonds of friendship and love that can only be attributed to Les Innocents.
Let’s start with my only negative, which is an abundance of characters.  At times I found it hard to keep track of all of the minor characters, especially with them having such similar names.  This is not the only historical fiction novel that I have had the same problem with. Even though it can be frustrating it’s not something that keeps me from enjoying the story. 

The reason I love this genre is that it prompts me to look into things and to learn something new.  I really like this story and all the twists and turns that it held.  The relationships Baratte builds are vivid and enjoyable to read. Pacing was never a problem and I never lost interest or found myself bored.  I can easily recommend this one, especially to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment