Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Reaver


The Reaver (The Sundering #4)

Richard Lee Byers

ISBN# 9780786964581

February 2014

The Reaver (The Sundering, #4)
4 Stars

*I received this uncorrected galley from NetGalley*

Stedd Whitehorn, a young boy Chosen by a God thought to be dead, has a big price on his head. In order to perform the miracles that will end a famine that has plagued the land and preach the messages of his god he has to journey far while evading many enemies.  Anton Marivaldi, a reaver with a checkered past, captures Stedd in hopes to claim a bounty from the undead pirate captain Evendur Highcastle who serves the god Umberlee. Anton finds himself caught in a war that he didn’t expect to be a part of and Stedd has to find a way to complete his mission despite it all.

The one complaint that I have is that there were times I felt that it was cluttered. I found myself back tracking some to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I have read the previous books in the series and the one thing I really like is that it’s not necessary to read them in order. That could change at some point but for now the books seem to be stand alone. I would have to say that this book is probably the most fun, so far.  There is a lot of action, pirates, wizard, vampires and even zombies.  At times I was on the edge of my seat and even though I wanted to get to the end to find out what happens I wanted the adventures to continue. The protagonists are great. When an author can make me like someone that I was against liking in the beginning I get excited. These characters have a depth that can be hard to find on the first introduction in this genre.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel.  This was my first experience with this author but I will be reading more of his work in the near future. I will gladly recommend The Reaver.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment