Monday, June 3, 2013

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X)

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)
 
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1)

Richelle Mead

ISBN: 978-0-525-95368-5

*This is a review of an uncorrected galley I received from NetGalley*

3.5 Stars

Praetorian soldier Mae Koskinen is given an unlikely assignment, which she can only view as punishment, to bring back an exile to the Republic of North America (RUNA). Justin March, who was exiled due to a job performance failure, accepts his second chance. His new assignment is to track down the cultists’ involved in some unsolved murders. Her job is to keep him safe.  Besides the tension between them, other dangers threaten to gain control of their futuristic world where humans will be merely players on a gameboard.

I really wanted to like this one a lot more. The pacing felt agonizingly slow and the action seemed sparse considering the plot.  That could have been overlooked more if there would have been more of a connection with the characters.  I was not invested in Mae and Justin until almost the end but mainly I was indifferent to Justin throughout the whole novel. There were minor characters I was more interested in. This ended up being all about the plot for me. It’s original (at least in my reading experience) and intriguing. The need to know pushed me to the end and I made me grateful that I stuck it out. I will read the future installments to see where they lead. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment