Monday, June 16, 2014

The Weight of Blood


The Weight of Blood
The Weight of Blood

Laura McHugh

9780812995206

March 2014

4 Stars

*I received this uncorrected galley from netgalley*

Sixteen year old Lucy Dane has always felt like an outsider in the small mountain town of Henbane. Even though she was born there and that the Dane family has a history there the residents have never fully accepted her because her mother had been a stranger.  When Lucy starts digging into her friend’s disappearance and death she discovers that the town and her own family have a lot of skeletons to be discovered. Lucy didn’t expect her investigation to also uncover secrets about her mother’s disappearance and how it would change the lives of her loved ones.

I was immediately drawn into the mystery of this story and didn’t want to stop reading. It could have easily been read in one sitting if I would have had the time to dedicate to it.  The plot kept the pages turning quickly and kept me on my toes. The different character perspectives were a nice way to see the story unfold by keeping it from getting stale.  As I have stated in other reviews, I love a good dysfunctional family and this novel provides one. I would have to agree with the comparison to Gillian Flynn when it comes to this novel, especially the family dynamic.  My one complaint is the characters. I just didn’t feel like I was getting enough from them. Even though I was thoroughly invested in their story I wasn’t invested in them.  Overall I really enjoyed it and have already recommended it and will keep doing so. I will also be checking out this author’s future work.

 

                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment